Me Like Eve? Really?

On my last post, I shared how my God Confidence has been strengthened by a simple question I imagine God asking me in every situation... "Do you trust Me?"

So while God is building up my faith in Him, I was reminded of another verse today given to us by Paul.

2 Corinthians 11:3 ~ Where Paul is writing to the believers of Corinth who, though strong in their faith, having received sound teaching, are in danger of being deceived by false messengers. It says….

I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.
Have you ever wondered to yourself…how could Eve have been so foolish? Maybe your mind has even dared to wander to that day in the garden and you have wondered how could Eve have been so easily deceived? I mean, she was there, walking and talking with the Lord every single day. Maybe you are even so bold to think you would have been so happy and so close to the Lord that you may not have made the same decision as Eve.

Just as Paul is warning the Corinthians that there is a strong possibility that they could easily be deceived…we too are vulnerable to deception. Just as Eve was purely devoted to God…and I am sure she treasured the time with Him…she could be deceived. Paul is warning us that no matter how devoted we are, no matter how strong we feel we are in our faith, no matter how pure our intentions are to walk with the Lord daily…we can be deceived. The enemy is cunning.

A think Paul is giving us a clue to the crafty ways of the enemy as the scripture verse goes on...

2 Corinthians 11: 4 ....if you receive a different spirit than than the one you received...

In addtition to warnings about false prophets, Paul mentions his concerns of a different spirit from the Spirit they received at their point of salvation.

I did some study on this scripture to better understand this 'different spirit', and it was explained through various scripture references that this spirit Paul referes to is one of bondage, fear and worldliness instead of the spirit of freedom, love, joy, peace and power they received from God.

I have seen the enemy use all of those things as strongholds or distractions in my life and in the lives of those around me.
  • Bondage of shame and guilt of past sins that are covered by the blood of Christ and forgiven as soon as confessed; but the enemy uses the memory of them to shackle us with shame and guilt.
  • Fear of failing, being hurt, not being liked, or of death; all fears that the enemy wants us to focus on instead of the freedom to fail forward, to be healed from hurts, to be secure in our identity in Christ, and to look forward to eternal life with Him.
  • Worldly aspirations of wealth, possessions and acceptance; all the shiny objects the enemy dangles in front of us to distract from the real treasures of God's kingdom.
So, yes, just like Eve we can be deceived. But I choose to not step out into each day fearful of the enemies ability to deceive me. Instead I choose to start each day asking the Lord to give me eyes to see the attempts of the enemy to deceive, ears that are tuned into the voice of God so that I hear the truth over the deception, a heart that is ready to receive that truth and a mind that is ready and willing to walk in that truth.
What do you think?
Tami

No comments:

Post a Comment